*Voted "Best Food Artisan 2016" by Edible Phoenix Magazine*
What is Bone Broth?
Bone Broth is made with bones and can contain a small amount of meat adhering to the bones. As with stock (the two words are often interchangeable in traditional food circles), bones are typically roasted first to improve the flavor of the bone broth, but are simmered longer than traditional stock. Bone broths are simmered for a very long period of time (often in excess of 24 hours). This long cooking time helps to remove as many minerals and nutrients as possible from the bones. At the end of cooking, so many minerals have leached from the bones and into the broth that the bones crumble when pressed lightly.
"I'm sitting here enjoying a cup of the chicken broth I got from the Tom's Thumb Fresh Market a couple of days ago. Delicious. Mine has never been so gelatinous. Amazing. Can we set up a weekly arrangement or monthly?" -Melanie Culbertson, Scottsdale AZ
Why is Grassfed Important?
Meat, eggs, and dairy products from grassfed, pastured animals are ideal for your health. Compared with commercial products, they offer you more "good" fats, and fewer "bad" fats. They are richer in antioxidants; including vitamins E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. Furthermore, they do not contain traces of added hormones, antibiotics or other drugs.
Compared with feedlot meat, meat from grass-fed beef, bison, lamb and goats has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids. Meat and dairy products from grass-fed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called “conjugated linoleic acid” or CLA. When ruminants are raised on fresh pasture alone, their products contain from three to five times more CLA than products from animals fed conventional diets. Grass-fed meat also has more vitamin E, beta-carotene and vitamin C than grain-fed meat.
Benefits of Bone Broth
Restores The Gut & Enhances Digestion
- Rich in Amino Acids such as Glycine, Glutamine, Proline, Arginine that assist in lining of the gut
- Loaded with gelatin which enhances digestion by allowing enzymes, bacteria and HCL to better break down food
- This can help recover from food intolerances and sensitivities
Recovers Damaged Joints, Tissue, Muscle
- An easily absorbable source of Glucosamine, Sulfur Chondroitin, Collagen, Amino Acids
- Assist in collagen production in joints, tendons, ligaments, skin and mucus membranes
- Supports your adrenal glands, bones and teeth
Supports Immune Function
- Rich in anti-inflammatory minerals like calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and potassium
- Rich in Amino Acids to fight infection
Improves External Beauty
- Collagen, Amino Acids, and minerals (calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and potassium) found in broth, strengthen your nails and hair, improves skin and re-mineralizes teeth.
- These elements also work to reduce cellulite because they are foundational to the subcutaneous protein structure under the skin
- High protein (10-12g protein per 8oz cup), Low calorie, Low Carbohydrate, No sugar, No added sodium, and delicious! Nourished Bone Broths are unique in that we do not salt our broths. We include high quality salt with each purchase, so that you can salt the broth to YOUR taste
Sustainable and Based in Classic Culinary Wisdom
- Unlike other superfood trends that come and go in nutritional news, bone broth has stood the test of time. It's been consumed for it's healing properties for hundreds of years and is well documented in culture and history.
Jpp Apothecary COMPOSTS its food waste! Each month we turn 800+ lbs of refuse (organic bones, veggies, herbs) into a renewable resource for our local community and economy! 99% of our food waste is composted and put back into local grow spaces, community gardens, and urban farms. Now there's one more reason to feel good about your delicious bone broth purchase - sustainability!
How do I use Bone Broth?
- Sip a warm mug of broth for a healthy start to your day
- Braise meats and vegetables
- The base of the best soups and sauces
- For cooking grains, rice and quinoa
- Add to smoothies and protein drinks (our broths are unsalted so the sweetness of fruits or greens will be prominent flavor)
- Sip pre- and post-workout for muscle recovery